Tel: 07854 783320

Blog

Banner
Social Media Gets The Biggest Slice Of UK Mobile Internet Time

If you’re not already gearing your social media efforts towards mobile users, here is the juicy evidence you need to start making some changes. Research shows that UK adults now spend more time using the internet on mobile than computer, and social media activities get the biggest slice of mobile time.

Mobile VS Desktop

According to a March 2015 study by comScore, eMarketer reports that smartphones (41%) and tablets (15%) combined accounted for 56% of internet time at home and work locations, whilst desktops grabbed the remaining 44%.

This is important data for marketers and those promoting their business online. When was the last time you evaluated where your website or blog visitors are coming from? If it has been a while, you may be surprised by the result. Can you be found as easily on mobile as you can on a desktop computer? Are the graphics you share on social media easy to see in the palm of your hand?

Mobile Activity

It would be easy to assume that mobile internet users are mostly performing searches and accessing websites and email. However, when studying mobile audience behaviour on browsers and apps across smartphones and tablets, comScore found that social media activity (31%) accounted for more than double the shares of entertainment (14%) and media (14%) categories, with news/information (6%) and retail (5%) content lagging far behind.

A total 90% of UK mobile device users access social networks via mobile, according to the report. Facebook has the largest reach at 83%, Twitter and LinkedIn have 44%, while Google+ has 40% and Tumblr 22%.

It is more important than ever for businesses to target their marketing efforts to mobile and tablet users in the UK, as well as Desktop users. Here are a few tips:

  • Check that your content looks good in mobile feeds before posting it
  • Maximise sharing by ensuring that your content can be easily shared from a mobile device
  • Keep your visuals clear and simple
  • Perform the actions you want your audience to take using your own mobile to check for issues
  • Put aside some native advertising budget for Facebook, Twitter and/or LinkedIn
Need some help with your social media marketing? Get in touch with Lemon Squeezy Marketing or browse our services.

Sources: eMarketer, comScore

Bethany Carter,  June 23, 2015

Leave a Reply